360 videos are a great way to introduce people to the world of virtual reality and once you have your hands on a 360 mp4, uploading them to a compatible Gear VR device is super easy. Heres how.
Upload 360 videos to your Samsung Gear VR compatible device
With the phone turned on, connect it to your PC or Mac.
If you're using a PC the phone will pop up in File Explorer. If you're using a Mac you will need to download the latest version of Smart Switch. You can then use this as you would do with Finder on a Mac
Double click the phone once its popped up in your chosen file exploration device.
Here you can see all of your phones files. Double click 'Oculus'. If you can't see the file you will need to connect the phone to a Gear VR and install the initial setup software.
- Once in the Oculus folder find a folder titled 360videos. If you cant see the folder create a new one but make sure it is titled 360videos (all one word).
- Now drag and drop your 360 video into this folder.
- Once uploaded unplug the phone from your computer and insert into the Gear VR.
Viewing 360 videos on your Samsung Gear VR
- Navigate to your home screen while wearing the Gear VR
- Open the video viewing application of your choice, you can then select the thumbnail which will have the same title as the video you just uploaded. We like to use an application called Oculus 360 Videos to view our content, this can be downloaded from the Oculus store easily and free of charge alternative applications include Oculus Video and MilkVR.
Thats it! Super simple and easy to do. If you are missing video viewing applications on your handset make sure you are connected to the internet and visit the Oculus store. You can then go ahead and download a video viewing application free of charge.